Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thoughts on Prayer

Recently I have been thinking a lot about prayer.

You see a few weeks ago I prayed really hard for something. Maybe more than I have ever prayed about anything. Something was on my heart and caused anxiety so I let that lead me to prayer.

Many people in my life were also praying for something.

I thought "I don't know what I will do if i don't get this something" Really I was asking how my heart would respond. (By heart I am talking about a comprehensive heart = mind, affections, and will.) I wanted my heart to praise the Lord.

Soon my prayers turned from "Lord I want something" to "Lord let me praise you even if I don't get something, but I want something"

I was taking very literally part of Philippians 4:6 by letting my requests be made known to God.

As it was looking more and more like I was not going to get this something I started to question/doubt the power of prayer. This led me to wrestle with the purpose of prayer.

At this point I have not made it to a biblical systematic evaluation how a lot of prayer effects getting what I pray for. I realized that through my desire for something, people in my lifer were encouraged to enter into an intimate communication with God. Something/anything is not nearly as great as this delightful privilege. It hit me hard realizing that I think prayer is mostly about me and not as much about the glory of God.

For the past year I have been really encouraged by Philippians 4, but now I am seeing it differently. Paul is not saying to pray so that God gives us what we want, but to pray in response to anxiety. With prayer, anxiety is unnecessary.

Well I didn't get this something. I don't know if the true response of my heart was praise. My heart is thankful for what I am learning through it, but my mind is still trying to communicate with my emotions that this is not God's best for us, so I shouldn't want it.

One positive note, I got an almost free vacation to palm springs that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

No comments: