Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Four Days (1 of 2)

Wednesday evening as I left work I thought “this should be a relaxing four day weekend” I was in for quite a pleasant surprise.

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is looking at all of the ads that are in the paper. For some reason I think this comes from my mom. We would occasionally get the Sunday newspaper, and I loved looking through all the coupons. It also has to do with my love for getting a good deal. Thursday I woke up with my excitement because I wanted a PAPER! I threw on come clothes and was still trying to keep my eyes open when I was looking for keys and coins.

I returned home with San Jose Mercury and the Monterey Herald (side note… reminds me of home. Manhattan Mercury and Ottawa Herald). Because I wanted to extend my joy and I had a few duplicates, I organized all of the ads. Threw out the bad ones, and alphabetized the good.

By this time I realized I needed to start cooking. Although I only made two pies, sweet potatoes, and a spiced drink (and Josh was making rolls), my kitchen was still a mess from making the crust the day before. I always forget that rolling out dough destroys the kitchen. Did I really use all the dishes that were in my sink? For some reason I was very relaxed so everything took longer than it should. I realized how Josh operates. He rarely has urgency in his step, even if he is running late. We finally got to our friends house about 1pm and they were all ready for us. Dinner was wonderful and of course we were all stuffed. After a few games, watching football, and a quick run to see a few coworkers, it was late and time to go home.

For over a year Josh and I have been debating the purchase of a flat panel TV. Last year we even bought one, but I changed my mind and took it back. Were we going to buy one this year? We did some pre-black Friday shopping and found that although the TV we wanted was on the front page of almost every ad, it was the same price on Tuesday. So no, we decided against a TV. This makes sense knowing that we also are not quick to make big purchases.

Josh convinced me not to go shopping when the outlet mall opened in Gilroy at 12am, and since we were not going to buy a TV there was not much reason to get up at 4am either. So I tried to sleep in, but I kept thinking of all the deals I was missing. I convinced Josh to get up at 8:00 and head to the mall 30 minutes away. He dropped me off, because parking was impossible, and headed to a few other stores. I walked, and walked, but really didn’t find any presents for anyone. Oh, I found a few things for myself of course.

One of the highlights of this day was Josh overheard a couple in Wal-Mart saying they were going to have Sonic for lunch. We had no idea there was a Sonic in Gilroy, so Josh took it upon himself to find it. Wonderful lunch that day!

As we were getting ready to leave, we decided to stand in the Sharp outlet store line. When we first walked by the store there was a pretty long line outside of people waiting to get in. “What kind of crazy deals are they having” we both thought. At the end of the day we decided to find out. We were both laughing because we did not want anything in that store, and had no intention of buying anything. When we pulled our car away from that store we had it in a DVD player, present for someone, surround sound speakers, universal remote, and … a flat panel TV. You know the TV we decided not to buy this year. Well not the exact TV, but one a little smaller and a lot cheaper (but still good quality). If anyone needs a marketing ploy, this is a great one. Limit the number of people in your store to about 30. Make everyone else stand in line outside. Crazy people like Josh and me will wait in line just to see what is going on and then buy all sorts of goods.

We got home at about 10:00 that night and we were both exhausted.

No comments: