Saturday, December 13, 2008

Phil’s Fish Market and Eatery

Last night Josh and I went out to eat. We decided to try a semi-local (20 minutes away) favorite. Phil’s Fish Market and Eatery. The knowledge of this place first came through Foder’s northern California travel book. It is always a good sign if restaurants make the book. Then just recently it was on the local news as having the food network out for a new show. Instantly I thought “there is going to be a Throw down.” The next day on the news my assumption was confirmed. Apparently this place is famous for their cippino. For those of you that don’t know this dish, it is a tomato based shell fish soup.

When we walked in there was a live band playing Johnny Cash’s “I’ve Been Everywhere.” Not very many places can get away with charging $20 for a bowl of soup that you order at a counter and take a number and get your own drink. For a Thursday night at a place pretty far from largely populated areas it was busy.

Josh ordered the world famous cippino and I ordered the ahi tuna. We took our number, bibs, napkins and utensils; got our drinks; and sat down at an open table. After less than 10 minutes a beautiful tuna steak was sitting in front of me. I took one bite and questioned how what I was eating was related to that stuff you get in a can. Josh dipped his spoon into his steaming bowl of clams, crab, muscles, bay scallops, and shrimp and questioned how to eat it.

Everything was so good. The Monterey bay area has great restaurants, but they are not the fun laidback atmosphere like Phil’s. It was a great date restaurant for people who are comfortable with each other. Eating soup with your hands is not a recommendation for a first or second date. If you happen to be in Moss Landing, CA and want seafood, definitely stop in at Phil’s Fish Market and Eatery.

1 comment:

Sam McManus said...

This has nothing to do with your blog but I thought I would conatct you and say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We just got your Christmas card and I saw the blog site. I played golf with Bill today and we even discussed going out to Pebble Beach sometime to play golf since you are out there now. Of course seeing the two of you is our main concern and the golf is secondary. What is the best time to come out there to get good deals on golf? What airports should we try to fly into? I hope the two of you are doing well and like Northern California. Email or call us.

Steve and Shellie