Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Episode 4: Cursing


I recently heard a sermon by a very good preacher on Colossians 3:8. He did a great job with the first four things we are to put-off, but when he came to “offensive language”, he lost it. His point was that we should not use cuss words because they were offensive. The problem was he mad a general assumption that everyone is offended by cuss words, and this is just not true. I know quite a few people who are not at all offended by a swear word here or there, or swear words at all for that matter. If I were around a person or group of people that regularly used curse words, it would make sense that I could use the same language without being sinful.
My mom is offended by the word “stupid” and “butt,” so when I am I should avoid these words as well as what our culture considers cuss words.
Since my newfound discovery, my vocabulary has expanded just a bit.
Now if you know of any verses that would point to specific words that are wrong to say, please let me know.

No comments: