Tuesday, June 8, 2010

One Bad Shoe

Get it, goody two shoe? One bad shoe? If anyone got the joke of my title before I explained it, please let me know. I am genetically cursed to enjoy bad jokes.

I am going to try to do a blog series on my transformation from a goody two shoe to "one bad shoe". My prayer is that God will allow me to use this topic to express grace and truth with my words.

Welcome to episode 1.

In high school I was definitely a “good girl” and I was proud of it. But honestly, it was easy. God blessed me with an incredible group of friends who did not fit the mold of a normal teenager. Our idea of a fun night was just hanging out and talking or watching a movie. Really, that’s not normal and I recognize that now.

In college I found a few really good friends who didn’t fit that mold that I was used to. They respected my decisions and welcomed me into their group and their parties. I have fond memories of having cooking night with my friend who was a trained chef.
These people opened up my minds to how to love people that were different from me. They didn’t provide me with community, but I had that in my roommates.

After graduating and my Christian bubble deflated I slowly grew to seek that I wanted to surround myself with a diverse group of friends. I need people in my life that will love and encourage me in my faith, but I also needed people that I could love and share Jesus with.

It has been at least half a decade of seeing myself not as a goody two shoe, but as one bad shoe.

No comments: